Monday, November 1, 2010

Anger Management

There are always those people you just can't stay mad at. My brother is one of those people. I wish I could stay mad at him because I could get it out of my system, but, alas, he has that stupid, chubby face that looks like a puppy. You just can't stay mad.

Then there's "Faye." I get mad at her very easily, and it's easy to stay mad. She gives me so many reasons to be ticked off. She's inappropriate. She knows no boundaries. She does not have the blessed face of my brother. She can't even make me laugh--except at her stupid decisions. Why am I friends with her? I feel bad for her. But pity can only take friendship so far. And anger overrules pity after a while.

I hate what she tells me.

Yeah, her life has been crappy. Her mom has supposedly punished her for a relationship she doesn't even have. In fact, I don't know what happens at her house. She might be making it up for all I know.

That's what I hate.

I hate not knowing whether to truly feel pity or to forget this drama I've inadvertently become involved in.

When Faye likes a guy, she really likes him. So much to the point that I think she creates this imaginary relationship in her head that is just, well, unhealthy. I mean, I like guys as much as the next straight high school girl, but I am fully aware of when I am single and when I am in a relationship. There's a clearly defined line. I'd like to point out that in order to be in a relationship, one must ask or be asked. You can never assume. And just because he says things that she takes as flirting, he could be messing with her, as guys have done before.

She asks me my opinion.
I tell her.

Does she listen? Heck no!
Should she listen? Um, yeah.

I've observed the mistakes she has repeatedly made. I've given her the advice that I think would work best in her situation. Yet she never takes that advice she must once again touch the proverbial electric fence one more time just to make sure it still shocks her. Oh, and it does. Every time.

Then she comes back, heartbroken, saying I was right. Oh how I bask in that moment. "Me? Right? That never happens!" I say. And she does not appreciate the sarcasm.

Why is she so easy to be mad at and so difficult to forgive?

I wish I felt bad enough to continue being her friend, but I can't stand being pitied. I don't see why anyone would want a friendship based only on pity.

I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. Kurt, thanks for the comment you left on my post. I found this article very interesting. I have run into people like Faye in my lifetime, and I found myself having to just scrape them off, and move on. I want people in my life who make me feel good and happy, not angry and frustrated. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete